June 28, 2011

Wrath of the Professors

The "Wrath of God" card
from the popular
Magic the Gathering
card game.

The text reads; "All
creatures in play are
buried"
By Francis Nye

At last count 79 professors from various institutions signed a petition to halt the United States Speaker of the House, John Boehner from speaking before a Catholic graduating class.  These academics find this Ohio congressman’s voting recorded concerning abortion issues not to their liking.  They urge him to re-familiarize himself with church’s teachings before delivering his commencement address before the Washington D.C. Catholic University of America. 

I could understand how this could be a problem if he was going to speak on abortion but somehow I don’t think this is likely with this type of audience.  If I recall correctly at my college graduation and that of my daughter’s the keynote speaks regaled the graduating classes with what the future holds for them.  So I am not sure why they are all uptight about this man’s record on abortion issues.  I suspect their religious bigotry is bubbling up to the surface.  It’s the smug; you’re not with us so we don’t want you around attitude.  They should ask themselves is this how Jesus would treat Mr. Boehner?  Would he shun this man because his beliefs are different? 

Besides since when has God placed a high value on human life?  When I look at his track record it makes me wonder what the entire hubbub about abortion is anyway with Christians.  God has consistently killed or had killed thousands of people.  In fact God wiped out the entire population of the earth in Noah’s time with a mass flood and he promises to do it again with fire in the future.  I am quite certain if the flood tale is to be believed that babies and pregnant women died in the Great Flood story.  Also what about the time when God destroyed Sodom and Gomorra with fire from heaven?  Did he think to spare the children then?  No of course not.   He even went as far as turning Lot’s wife into a pillar of salt just for turning around to see the city burn.   I always felt pity for her.  I guess I have more compassion than God does.

Then there is this little Gem from the Book of Zephaniah:

I will sweep away everything in all your land," says the LORD. "I will sweep away both people and animals alike. Even the birds of the air and the fish in the sea will die. I will reduce the wicked to heaps of rubble, along with the rest of humanity.

In this quote you can see that not only does God destroy all the people he kills all the animals also.  I bet God has been blacklisted by PETA after that incident.

God also approves of people killing one another.  In the Book of Judges Micah butchers an entire town and God seems to let the entire incident slide. 

Then, with Micah's idols and his priest, the men of Dan came to the town of Laish, whose people were peaceful and secure. They attacked and killed all the people and burned the town to the ground. There was no one to rescue the residents of the town, for they lived a great distance from Sidon and had no allies nearby. This happened in the valley near Beth-rehob.  Then the people of the tribe of Dan rebuilt the town and lived there. They renamed the town Dan after their ancestor, Israel's son, but it had originally been called Laish. (Judges 18:27-29 NLT)

Did you get the part where the people of the town of Laish were peaceful?  I think alone speaks volumes on God’s attitude toward mankind.
 
I agree that abortion is appalling but please spare me your self-righteous religious outrage over abortion.  God could care less if women murder their babies by the bushels.  So instead of Speaker Boehner re-familiarizing himself with church teachings maybe these esteemed professors should bone-up on the good-book themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment