April 19, 2011

Study Finds a Link between Obesity and Religion


Let's hope your praying for
some low-fat meals and fashion tips


By Francis Nye

Good news for the religious.  It seems religion may be bad for your health.  Several studies indicate that religion may be fatting and cause heart disease.  A report from Northwestern University: "Young adults who frequently attend religious activities are 50 percent more likely to become obese by middle age as young adults with no religious involvement, according to new Northwestern Medicine research."

A broader study at Purdue University found similar results: "Religious people are more likely to be overweight than are nonreligious people."

Studies on Mormons have also shown this correlation between religion and weight gain. A Desert News article reported that members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints were found to be 5.7 pounds heavier on average and 34 percent more likely to be obese.

Religious people shouldn’t fret.  They can just view their obesity as a vehicle for going to the after-life sooner rather than later.  This is good news that can be embraced and celebrated by followers of Christ and Mohammad to be sure.  After all isn’t the point of religion to prepare you for the end?  Isn’t the goal of religion, the after life?  Ah, Eternal bliss. Paradise.  Streets paved with gold.  A mansion for everyone.  Seventy-two virgins and all that noise.

I never really understood why the faithful go to doctors or worry about their health in the first place.  I am nonplussed as to why most are so afraid of death with such rewards awaiting them in the after life.  If I was religious my mantra would be “Bring it.  I can’t wait meet my maker.”  One would think they would want the most hazardous careers to be had.  Test Pilot, Dare Devil, Crash Test Dummy and the like.

Didn’t Jesus say don’t concern yourself with this life but the next? 

Matt 6:25 (NKJV)

Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?

Christians and Muslims shouldn’t worry about diabetes, high blood pressure, heat disease and all the things associated with obesity.  Just keep in mind what Jesus taught.

Matt 6:34 (NKJV)

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

Also why are they so sad when their spouse or other loved ones passes away?  You would think it would be cause for celebration.  You never hear them say, “Hey my infant baby boy just died and he is with Jesus.  Halleluiah! Party at my house; BYOB.  Or “Dude I just got my diagnosis; I have stage 4 lung cancer.  Just three short months and I will be with the angles. I hope to die a slow and agonizing death like Jesus.  YEAH! I can’t wait.”

After all Jesus taught: Matt 7:24-5 (NKJV)

24 Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock: 25 and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not ...”

Myself – Since I am a non-believer, I think I will worry about my health.  I will go to the doctor for a regular check up.  I will be concerned for my loved-ones’ earthly well-being.  I am not one to just throw caution to the wind and live in the here and now like Jesus taught, but maybe I am just funny that way. Ω TRT



What are your thoughts on this situation?  Please let me know below in the comment section.

---------------
Cardiovascular Health and Religion

No comments:

Post a Comment